Call: 855-408-1212 (toll free)
SHIIP, the Seniors’ Health Insurance Information Program
855-408-1212 (toll free)
SHIIP can help you with questions about Medicare, Medicare Advantage plans, Medicare prescription drug coverage, Medicare Supplement Insurance and long-term care insurance.
You can also find information for SHIIP counseling sites in all of North Carolina’s 100 counties.
Consumer Services Division
855-408-1212 (toll free)
The Consumer Services Division can answer your questions about insurance-related issues involving auto, homeowners/renters, liability, life/annuities, disability, Medicare supplement, long-term care, dental, vision, hospital, accident, specified disease and other coverages.
You can also find consumer-friendly guides with information on a variety of insurance-related topics.
Agents, Adjusters, Bail Bondsmen, Business Entities
The Agent Services Division regulates all licensed agents, brokers, limited representatives, appraisers, adjusters, premium finance companies, collection agencies, motor clubs, bail bondsman, surety bondsman, and bail bond runners authorized to do business in North Carolina. This includes prelicensing education, continuing education, agency examinations and administrative actions.
Property & Casualty
The Property & Casualty Division is responsible for reviewing rates, forms and rules insurance companies wish to use for commercial and personal lines of property and liability coverage in North Carolina. This division also regulates surplus lines.
Life & Health
The Life & Health Division is primarily responsible for the regulation, review, approval and disapproval of all life, health, credit insurance, annuity, long-term care, and Medicare Supplement policy forms and rates to be used in North Carolina. The division is also responsible for the registering of charitable or educational organizations that issue annuities;, the licensing of Third Party Administrators, Multiple Employer Welfare Arrangements, Viatical Settlement Providers; and compliance review of non-financial operational policies and procedures for HMO and PPO plans.
The Market Regulation Division regularly monitors the business of DOI-regulated companies to identify general market disruptions and to eliminate or limit harm to consumers, policyholders and/or claimants.
The Financial Evaluation Division regulates all authorized insurers, entities that self-insure for workers compensation, certain third party administrators, managing general agents, accredited reinsurers, professional employer organizations and continuing care retirement communities, for compliance with the solvency laws of this state.
The Alternative Markets Division The Alternative Markets Division is part of the Company Services Group and is comprised of the Captive Insurance, Medical Loss Ratio (MLR), Regulatory Actions sections and Unauthorized Plan Investigation.
The Actuarial Services Division assists in the review of rate, form and statistical filings; and conducts actuarial studies for financial analysis and financial evaluation of regulated companies.
Many people may not realize that the Commissioner of Insurance also serves as the State Fire Marshal in North Carolina. OSFM is comprised of the six divisions: Engineering and Codes; Manufactured Building; Risk Management; Fire and Rescue Training and Inspections; Fire and Rescue Commission; and Programs, Prevention and Grants.
We offer select information in the Spanish language (en Español). View available resources in the Spanish language.
- NC Captives Committed. Competitive. Without the Red Tape.
- Teen Drivers Making CENTS of Auto Insurance
- NCDOI HurriClaims Center: Your source for insurance information in a disaster.
- EYE ON DOI Newsletter: NCDOI's Department Newsletter
- FIRE MARSHAL GOODWIN'S FIRE PREVENTION PAGE FIRE MARSHAL GOODWIN'S FIRE PREVENTION PAGE
- Safe Kids North Carolina Safe Kids North Carolina
- Health Care Reform Information Health Care Reform Information
- October 8, 2015 -- Insurance Commissioner Presents Award to Charlotte Fire Department
- October 8, 2015 -- Department of Insurance Opens Charlotte Regional Office
- October 7, 2015 -- Durham Man Accused of Insurance Fraud
- October 7, 2015 -- State Fire Marshal and Local Fire Departments to Deliver Meals, Safety Tips to New Hanover County Seniors
- October 6, 2015 -- Insurance Commissioner Presents Awards to Greensboro, High Point Fire Departments