Welcome to the Building Code Council section of the Engineering and Codes Division.
Use the menu on the left side of this page to find what you need or choose another category
The NC Building Code Council is a Board consisting of 17 members that have been appointed by the Governor as authorized by GS 143-136.
Additional information on appointments can be found here.
Code Development Process
The NC Building Code Council adopts and amends the NC State Building Codes as authorized by GS 143-138. Prior Codes, Current Codes, Agenda, Petitions, Hearings, Final Adoption, Minutes, Rules Review.
The 2011 NC Electrical Code is effective as follows:
- September 1, 2011 (Delayed for Legislative Review)
The 2012 NC State Building Codes are effective as follows:
- September 1, 2011 Building, Fire, Fuel Gas, Mechanical, Plumbing
- January 1, 2012 Energy Conservation, Residential
The following NC Building Codes remain effective:
- 1995 Existing Buildings
- 2009 NC Rehabilitation
- 2008 Electrical (Legislative review pending on 2011 NC Electrical)
- 2009 Energy Conservation, Residential (until 3/1/12)
- 2009 Building, Fire, Fuel Gas, Mechanical, Plumbing (until 6/1/12)