Please bear with us as we move to our new location in the Ablemarle Building on 325 N. Salisbury Street, Raleigh, NC this week and next week. Our mailing address will still be 1202 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-1202.
All phone numbers will remain the same. Please call our main number for assistance – 919-647-0000.
Welcome to the Building Code Council section of the Engineering and Codes Division.
Use the menu on the left side of this page to find what you need or choose another category
The NC Building Code Council is a Board consisting of 17 members that have been appointed by the Governor as authorized by GS 143-136.
Code Development Process
The NC Building Code Council adopts and amends the NC State Building Codes as authorized by GS 143-138. Prior Codes, Current Codes, Agenda, Petitions, Hearings, Final Adoption, Minutes, Rules Review.
The 2015 NC Existing Building Code is effective as follows:
The 2014 NC Electrical Code is effective as follows:
The 2012 NC State Building Codes are effective as follows:
- September 1, 2011 Building, Fire, Fuel Gas, Mechanical, Plumbing
- January 1, 2012 Energy Conservation, Residential
The following NC Building Codes remain effective:
- 2009 NC Rehabilitation (until 3/1/18)
- 2011 Electrical (until 4/1/16)
- The 2018 NC State Building Codes will be based on the 2015 International Codes and will become effective on January 1, 2019.