Reciprocity-Transfer of Certifications from another State
The North Carolina Fire and Rescue Commission approved the following process for reciprocity at their April 8, 2014 Quarterly Meeting. The process takes effect April 8, 2014.
- Reciprocity will only be granted for certifications that are accredited by either the International Fire Service Accreditation (IFSAC) or the National Board on Fire Service Professional Qualifications (Pro Board).
There will be no crossing accreditations:
- IFSAC for IFSAC
- Pro Board for Pro Board
- The NCFRC will not grant reciprocity for certifications to members of NC Departments for certifications taken through an out-of-state delivery agency if those certification programs are offered in NC.
Reciprocity will not be allowed for the following NC alternative certifications:
- Chief 101
- Emergency Vehicle Driver
- Rescue Officer
- Agriculture Rescue
Reciprocity will not be allowed for the following management level certifications:
- Fire Officer (all levels) NFPA 1021
- Fire/Rescue Instructor (all levels) NFPA 1041
- Fire Marshal
A candidate shall complete a Reciprocity Packet. The packet will contain the following:
- Application for Certification
- Copy of original certificates with accreditation statement/seal
- Candidate must meet all pre-requisite(s) of the certification(s) for which reciprocity is being sought.
- Incomplete reciprocity requests will not be processed
Once a candidate's application is received and deemed complete, the candidate will be allowed to attend a regional test site for the certification exam for each requested certification.
- Candidate must pass the exam with a score of 80%.
- If a candidate fails on the first attempt, the candidate is allowed a retest at another regional testing site.
- Any candidate that fails the retest will not be granted reciprocity and must take the NC certification class and pass the certification exam in order to become certified.
- Upon successful completion of the certification exam, the candidate will receive a North Carolina certification(s).
Apply for Reciprocity for Fire Inspector. If you have any questions regarding Fire Inspector certifications (for Fire Prevention Code Officials) please contact Brandi Maynard by email firstname.lastname@example.org, 919-661-5880 x 263.