Sidebar menu rounded corners bottom graphic

Fire-Rescue Grants and Relief Funds

firefighter relief fund resources

Firefighters Relief Fund - FAQs

Q. The fire department serves two fire districts, a municipal area and a rural area, does the fire department have to join the NC State Firemen's Association twice and submit all required forms in duplicate?

A. 1) If the fire department is 2 in 1, yes. Some small municipalities have a fire department owned by the town, which serves the municipal fire district and a rural fire department chartered through the Secretary of State's Office with a Board of Director's to serve the rural fire district. The equipment is housed in one building and the same personnel respond to both fire districts. The General Statute clearly states any organized certified/rated fire department shall be a member of the NC State Firemen's Association and meet all General Statute requirements.

2) If the fire department is soley operated by either the Town or a Board of Director's and serves two fire districts, they are only required to meet the General Statute requirements once.

Q. If a fire department member becomes seriously ill, and is not fire related, can the local fund financially assist?

A. Yes if the firefighter has been active in the fire service for 5 years and is in danger of destitution. The General Statutes will allow the local fund to purchase "other" insurance protection, this may be considered as an alternate for situations such as this. To release funds for this purpose, it must be approved by the local board and the State Firemen's Association.

Q. Does our local Firefighter's Relief Fund Board have entire control of the local funds?

A. No. Expenditures of local funds must be approved by the NC State Firemen's Association. This is to ensure the local funds remains actuarially sound for its original intent.

Q. Can Firefighter's Relief Fund monies be used to supplement fire department budget or purchase equipment?

A. No

Q. Who is responsible to return the Report of Fire Condition to the Department of Insurance?

A. General Statute requires the Clerk/Finance Officer of any City, County, Sanitary District to file the Report of Fire Condition on or before October 31 of each year.

Q. The fire department has been made aware they are disqualified to receive their relief fund monies due to the Report of Fire Condition not being filed as required by the City, County, Sanitary District, can the fire department recoup the Firefighter's Relief Fund tax collected within the fire district?

A. Yes. The Firefighter's Relief Fund Board of Trustees can request the City, County or Sanitary District Commissioner's to reimburse the fire department from City, County, Sanitary District funds.