Surety Insurance Companies - Bail Bond Authority
Legislative Change Resources
The following North Carolina Administrative Code Rule amendments and adoptions for Title 11 NCAC, Chapter 13 applicable to bail bond prelicensing and continuing education requirements were filed with the North Carolina Office of Administrative Hearings on April 24, 2012 with a requested effective date of September 1, 2012. They will be published in the NC Register on May, 15, 2012, and the public comment period is May 15 through July 16, 2012. The Public Hearing is scheduled for June 15, 2012, in the Jim Long Hearing Room, Dobbs Building, Raleigh, NC. The Rules Review Commission is scheduled to meet on August 16, 2012, to review and make a determination on approval of the proposed rule changes. If approved, the rules will be effective September 1, 2012.
Chapter 13 – Proposed Rule Amendments
Chapter 13 – Proposed Rule Adoptions
- 11 NCAC 13.0525 CONTINUING EDUCATION ADVISORY COMMITTEE
- 11 NCAC 13.0531 SPECIAL ACCOMODATIONS FOR COMPLETION OF BCE REQUIREMENT THROUGH AUDIO VISUAL REPLAY
Bondsman and Runner Access to Criminal Record Information
Pursuant to House Bill 335 (SESSION LAW 2011-412), new bail bond statute G.S. 58-71-200, allows for all actively licensed professional bail bondsmen, surety bail bondsmen, and bail bond runners to apply to the North Carolina Administrative Office of the Courts (NCAOC) and pay an initial setup fee to get access to NCAOC criminal record information. G.S. 58-71-200 is effective October 15, 2011, and all hardware, software, telecommunications charges, or other expenditures required for such access shall be the sole responsibility of the individual bondsman or runner. Bondsmen and runners requesting access to the Automated Criminal/Infractions System (ACIS) pursuant to G.S. 58-71-200 should follow the instructions provided by NCAOC
All questions about these instructions should be directed to NCAOC’s Security Administration team at 919-890-2221 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chapter 13 – Amended Rule Effective 3-1-2011
2010 Rules Filing
The following North Carolina Administrative Rule changes for Title 11 NCAC Chapter 13 applicable to bail bondsmen were approved for an October 1, 2010 effective date:
Chapter 13 - Repealed Rules Effective 10-1-2010
- 11 NCAC 13 .0101 DEFINITIONS
- 11 NCAC 13 .0102 PURPOSE OF DIVISION
- 11 NCAC 13 .0103 DEPUTY COMMISSIONER
- 11 NCAC 13 .0104 DIVISION PERSONNEL
- 11 NCAC 13 .0105 FIELD INVESTIGATIONS: EXAMINATIONS
- 11 NCAC 13 .0516 SURETY BONDSMEN LICENSING PROCEDURES
Chapter 13 - Amended Rules Effective 10-1-2010
- 11 NCAC 13 .0512 COLLATERAL SECURITY REQUIRED BY BONDSMEN
- 11 NCAC 13 .0513 ALTERATION OF AFFIDAVIT OF SURETY
Chapter 13 - Adopted Rules Effective 10-1-2010
- 11 NCAC 13 .0519 FINGERPRINTS REQUIRED FOR CRIMINAL RECORD CHECKS
- 11 NCAC 13 .0520 PRELICENSING EDUCATION: DEFINITIONS FOR BAIL BOND PRELICENSING AND CONTINUING EDUCATION
- 11 NCAC 13 .0521 BAIL BOND MONTHLY REPORT
- 11 NCAC 13 .0522 CONTINUING EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
- 11 NCAC 13 .0523 QUALIFICATION FOR BCEC
- 11 NCAC 13 .0524 BCEC EXTENSION OF TIME: HARDSHIP
- 11 NCAC 13 .0526 APPROVAL OF BCEC COURSES
- 11 NCAC 13 .0530 ISSUANCE OF AND CONTINUATION BCEC OF PROVIDER APPROVAL
- 11 NCAC 13 .0532 EXAMINATIONS: SPECIAL ACCOMMODATIONS (AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT)
- 11 NCAC 13 .0533 SCHEDULE OF EXAMINATIONS
- 11 NCAC 13 .0534 CERTIFICATE OF COURSE COMPLETION
- 11 NCAC 13 .0535 EXAMINATION AUTHORIZATION LETTER
- 11 NCAC 13 .0536 RESPONSIBILITY OF APPLICANT AT EXAMINATION SITE
- 11 NCAC 13 .0537 ADMINISTRATION OF EXAMINATION
- 11 NCAC 13 .0539 BAIL BOND PRELICENSING EDUCATION PROVIDER
- 11 NCAC 13 .0541 BAIL BOND PRELICENSING EDUCATION COURSES
- 11 NCAC 13 .0542 BAIL BOND PRELICENSING AND BCEC INSTRUCTORS
Chapter 13 - Rule Amended Effective 11-1-2010
- 11 NCAC 13 .0528 SANCTIONS FOR BCEC NONCOMPLIANCE BY LICENSEES, COURSE PROVIDERS AND INSTRUCTORS
On August 7, 2009, Governor Perdue signed Senate Bill 202 into law. This was a budget appropriations bill for current operations of state departments, institutions, and agencies. Based on this bill, the license fees for certain Department of Insurance licenses issued by Agent Services Division were increased effective 8/15/2009.
License fees for bail bondsmen, runners, premium finance companies, motor clubs, collection agencies, and viatical settlement brokers were increased. View full text of Senate Bill 202.
Agent Services Division has revised the license applications for the above license types to reflect the new fee amounts effective 8/15/2009. These revised applications are posted on the Department’s website www.ncdoi.com. If Agent Services Division receives an application on or after 8/15/2009 with the incorrect license fee amount, we will not review the application until the correct fee amount is paid. We will send a letter to the applicant advising that the application is in a “pending” status until such time the total amount of fee is received.
Please contact Agent Services Division at 919-807-6800 if you have any questions.