Agent Services

Veterans Reimbursement and Scholarship Programs

How Do I Apply for Reimbursement for NCDOI Licensing Exams?

Upon completion of an eligible state examination for insurance agent/producer, adjuster or bail bondsman, veterans may apply for reimbursement through the Veteran Affairs website.

Applications for reimbursement may also be submitted by written request as indicated below.

Checklist for Requesting Licensing & Certification Test Reimbursement

Send Veteran’s Administration a signed and dated request with the following information:

  • Your Full Name
  • Your Mailing Address
  • Your Home Phone Number (with area code)
  • Your Social Security Number
  • Your VA File Number (if different from your Social Security Number)
  • Have you applied for VA benefits before? If no, you must access VA website at: and apply for education benefits and send with this request for reimbursement.
  • Name of Test
  • Date Test Taken
  • Cost of Test (VA will not reimburse you for registration fees, preparation guides, processing fees, etc.)
  • A copy of your test results or a copy of your license or certification
  • Name & Address of Organization Issuing License
  • Statement: "I hereby authorize the release of my test information to the Department of Veterans Affairs"
  • Your Signature and Date Signed

The address you may submit this written request is available at the link above depending upon the region of your residential address.

***** IMPORTANT *****

Veterans may receive reimbursement of up to $2,000 per test but not more than the VA approved cost of the test. You may receive benefits to retake a test you didn’t pass. You may receive benefits to retake a test you passed if the test is required for recertification or to allow you to retain a license you already have.

You must be eligible for benefits in order to receive test reimbursement. Your total months of benefits will be reduced each time you receive reimbursement for a licensing or certification test.

If you have questions about licensing and certification reimbursement, or applying for benefits, you can access the VA site at: and click on "Ask a Question and Find Answers" or call directly at 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551), or for the hearing-impaired call 1-800-829-4833.

This provides all honorably discharged U.S. Veterans residing in North Carolina the opportunity to begin a rewarding career in the insurance industry by pursuing the education and training needed to receive a North Carolina Property & Casualty (P&C) Insurance License - at no cost. Funding for the scholarship program is provided by the IIANC Education Foundation.

Get Started!