For Immediate Release: October 30, 2012

What do I do after the storm?

The Department of Insurance answers questions frequently asked after a storm or hurricane.

RALEIGH — Insurance Commissioner Wayne Goodwin reminds North Carolinians that the Department of Insurance is here to assist people as they deal with insurance-related concerns after Hurricane Sandy.

"The Department of Insurance and I stand ready to help people navigate the insurance claims process in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy," Goodwin said. "If you have a question or need to file a complaint against your insurance company, please give us a call."

People with insurance-related questions or complaints can call NCDOI’s Consumer Services hotline at 800-546-5664 (toll free in N.C.) or 919-807-6750 during standard business hours. Questions about flood insurance should be directed to the National Flood Insurance Program at 888-379-9531. For more information, visit us online at

The following are some FAQs related to storm or hurricane damage:

If I have storm damage, what should I do?

What should I do if my home is uninhabitable?

Will my insurance pay for damage caused by flooding?

During a power outage, food in my freezer and refrigerator spoiled. Will my insurance cover the loss?

If my neighbor’s tree falls and damages my house, whose insurance should cover the damage?

If my vehicle is damaged by falling trees or debris, will my insurance cover it?

Will my insurance pay for tree removal?

How can I avoid being a victim of a scam?

Find more disaster and recovery information at