For Immediate Release: April 28, 2014

What do I do after the storm?

The Department of Insurance answers questions frequently asked after a storm or tornado

RALEIGH -- — Insurance Commissioner Wayne Goodwin reminds North Carolinians that the Department of Insurance is here to assist people as they deal with insurance-related concerns after last week's storms and tornadoes.

"If you have questions or complaints about your insurance, call us at the Department of Insurance," Goodwin said. "One of our top priorities is to help people navigate the insurance claims process in the aftermath of any severe weather."

People with insurance-related questions or complaints can call NCDOI's Consumer Services hotline at 800-546-5664 (toll free in N.C.) or 919-807-6750 during standard business hours. Visit us online at

The following are some FAQs related to storm damage:

If I have storm damage, what should I do?

What should I do if my home is uninhabitable?

If my neighbor's tree falls and damages my house, whose insurance should cover the damage?

If my vehicle is damaged by falling trees or debris, will my insurance cover it?

Will my insurance pay for tree removal?

How can I avoid being a victim of a scam?

Find more disaster and recovery information at