For Immediate Release: October 30, 2015
Office of State Fire Marshal and Partners to Install Smoke Alarms as a Special Halloween Treat in Garner
RALEIGH -- Following two tragic fires in Garner, The Office of State Fire Marshal and partners to install alarms in homes on Oct. 31
- WHO: Department of Insurance Office of the State Fire Marshal, Safe Kids North Carolina, Garner Fire Department, NC American Red Cross, National Fire Protection Association and Kiddie Fire Safety
- WHAT: Volunteers and fire department personnel will visit homes, test smoke alarms, replace outdated smoke alarms with ten-year sealed battery units and handout safety information in Garner Fire District.
- WHEN: Saturday, Oct. 31, 2015
9 a.m. (alarm installation training begins at 9 a.m.; home installations start at 10 a.m.)
- WHERE: Volunteers and media should meet at 9 a.m. at Garner Fire Station 1
503 W. Main St., Garner, NC
- WHY: Garner Fire District has had two fatal hour fires this year and wants to prepare citizens for colder temperatures which have traditionally resulted in a higher number of home fires. According to the National Fire Protection Association, three of every five home fire deaths result from fires in homes with no smoke alarms or no working smoke alarms.