For Immediate Release: August 5, 2016
SHIIP Announces Statewide Award Winners
RALEIGH -- Insurance Commissioner Wayne Goodwin and the Seniors' Health Insurance Information Program (SHIIIP), congratulates the winners of four statewide awards for their outstanding work in providing free, unbiased counseling about Medicare and other health insurance issues to seniors in North Carolina.
This year's awards were presented at the Annual North Carolina SHIIP Coordinators' Training Conference in Greensboro on August 2nd:
- SHIIP County of the Year: SHIIP's coordinating site in Burke County is Burke County Senior Services. Under the leadership of SHIIP Coordinator, Amanda Clarke, SHIIP volunteers provided counseling to 1,252 clients in their county this year which was nearly triple the number counseled in the previous year. This coordinating site has embraced its duties by searching for ways to enhance its SHIIP services including outreach to a dialysis clinic and consistently broadcasting PSAs in their local media.
- SHIIP Coordinator of the Year: Andrew Friend is the SHIIP coordinator at the Union County Council on Aging. He has developed multiple partnerships and recruited a number of volunteers; he presented Extra Help programs at subsidized housing complexes and a senior nutrition site. He also promotes SHIIP regularly through social media.
- Mickey Hanula Volunteer of the Year: Barbara Brooks counsels at the Cumberland County Coordinating Council on Older Adults in Fayetteville. She became a volunteer six years ago after retiring as Director of the Department of Social Services in her county. Her wealth of knowledge from her career and her compassion for others has made her an extremely valuable asset to her local SHIIP site.
- Jim Long Outstanding SHIIP Service Award: Roberta Hamby, Healthcare Product Manager with the NC State Health Plan is a strong supporter and advocate for SHIIP and has been instrumental in the enhancement of the strong partnership SHIIP shares with the NC State Health Plan and its members. As a former SHIIP staff member, Roberta continues to carry the SHIIP message in her current position to the retirees of state government.
- Jim Long Outstanding SHIIP Service Award: Judy Gray, long-time NCDOI employee and current SHIIP Statewide Volunteer Manager, has been a SHIIP volunteer since the program began in 1986. Her compassion for senior adults has been fostered through community support and her years of service to SHIIP and the Medicare beneficiaries in NC.
"My sincere congratulations goes out to all of the 2016 award winners. It was my honor to present these awards to these deserving people who exemplify the valuable service provided by SHIIP," Goodwin said. "Without the assistance of our coordinators and volunteers throughout the state, we would not be able to reach so many of our Medicare beneficiaries."
SHIIP is a division of the North Carolina Department of Insurance that offers free, objective information about Medicare, Medicare prescription drug coverage, Medicare Advantage, long-term care insurance and other health insurance issues. SHIIP has nearly 1,000 trained volunteers across the state that provide one-on-one counseling in all 100 counties. For more information about SHIIP or to get answers to Medicare questions, call SHIIP at 855-408-1212 or visit www.ncshiip.com.