For Immediate Release: January 18, 2018

Contact: Marla Sink at 919-807-6017

Tips to help if your home or car is damaged in a winter storm

RALEIGH -- North Carolina’s recent winter blast has many residents wondering what to do if their home sustains damage due to the snow and ice or if they are involved in an automobile accident. North Carolina Insurance Commissioner Mike Causey offers the following tips to help consumers deal with questions that deal with their property or automobile coverage:

What to Do if Damage Occurs to Your Home

What Damage to Your Home is Covered?

Damage caused by wind, trees or other falling objects, and the collapse of a structure due to weight of ice or snow are all covered under most standard homeowners’ policies. Frozen pipes as the result of extreme cold might not be covered if the damage is due to negligence, such as failing to maintain an adequate temperature in the house when the ability to do so is there. Check your policy and call your insurance agent or company if you need clarification or have specific questions.

What Damage to Your Home is Not Covered?

The following events are typically not covered by the standard homeowners’ insurance policy: Interior water damage from a storm when there is no damage to the roof or walls of your home; damage as the result of a flood; removal of fallen trees (if the trees do not land on and damage your home); food spoilage due to a power outage; and water damage from backed-up drains or sewers. Some insurers offer endorsements (such as additional protection that may be purchased) for certain coverages not covered under the standard homeowner policy. Check with your agent or company to determine your needs.

What to Do if You Are in An Automobile Accident

Contact the N.C. Department of Insurance

If you have a dispute with your insurer about the amount or terms of the claim settlement, or for more information about choosing the right coverage, contact the N.C. Department of Insurance at 1-855-408-1212.