For Immediate Release: December 10, 2018

Contact: Marla Sink at 919-807-6017

N.C. Fire Marshal Mike Causey offers tips to keep safe and warm if power goes out

Alternative heating sources increase the risk of fire

RALEIGH -- As snow and ice blanket portions of North Carolina, N.C. Fire Marshal and Insurance Commissioner Mike Causey urges caution when trying to heat homes – especially in the event power is out and residents revert to alternative heating sources. According to the N.C. Office of State Fire Marshal, there have been several fires across the state during this storm believed to be caused by heating sources.

In 2018, 124 North Carolinians died as a result of fire. Commissioner Causey asks residents to make sure their fire and carbon monoxide alarms are working, heed the following safety precautions to help minimize the risk of house fires and have an escape plan in place in case of a fire ignites.

Space Heaters

Fireplace

Wood Stove

Furnace

Kerosene Heater

During colder weather, people tend to use fuel-burning appliances more often. Carbon monoxide is called the "invisible killer," as it is an odorless and colorless gas produced by the incomplete combustion of any fossil fuel; wood, oil, gas or coal.

The USFA recommends following these tips:

For more information, contact Office of the State Fire Marshal at 855-408-1212.

--NC OSFM--