Choking Prevention for Teachers
Did you know...
- Among children treated in emergency rooms for non-fatal choking incidents, almost 60 percent were food-related.
- Overall, 13 percent of cases involved swallowing coins and 19 percent involved candy or gum.
- Each year in the U.S., more than 2,800 kids are treated in emergency rooms after swallowing button batteries. That's one child every three hours. The number of serious injuries or deaths as a result of button batteries has increased nine-fold in the last decade.
Use these tips to ensure that the children in your care are safe:
- Look at your classroom as a child would. Ask yourself what looks interesting and what can be reached. Get down on your hands and knees, and check for small things children can choke on.
- Be on the look-out for the small batteries used in electronics, as these can be deadly if swallowed. Get more information about the dangers of button batteries.
- Keep small magnets away from children. These include magnets found in construction sets, children's toys or stress-relieving adult desk toys; refrigerator magnets; and rare earth magnets, such as Buckyballs.
- Keep cords and strings, including those attached to window blinds, out of the reach of small hands. Move chairs and other furniture away from windows to help prevent window falls.
For more information, please visit the following websites: