Fire and Burn Prevention for Teachers
Did you know…
- Fires and burns are the #5 cause of injury-related death to children in the United States?
- Over 300 children are treated in emergency rooms for burn-related injuries each day and 2 children die as a result of being burned?
- 47% of children who died from fires or burns were aged 4 and under?
Use these safety tips to help protect children in your care from fire and burns:
- Teach children not to hide from firefighters, but to get out quickly and call for help from another location.
- Show children how to crawl low on the floor, below the smoke, to get out of the house and stay out in the case of fire.
- Demonstrate how to stop, drop to the ground and roll if their clothes catch fire.
- Take the mystery out of fire play by teaching children that fire is a tool, not a toy.
- Teach children the nature of fire. It is FAST, HOT, DARK and DEADLY.
For more information and downloadable activity sheets, visit the following websites: