Sports Safety for Safety Professionals
Did you know…
- Each year, 2.6 million children ages 19 and under receive medical treatment for sports and recreation injuries?
- Children ages 5 to 14 account for nearly 40 percent of all sports-related injuries treated in hospitals?
- Injuries associated with participation in sports and recreational activities account for 21 percent of all traumatic brain injuries among children in the United States?
Educate parents using the following information and help keep children free from sports injuries:
- Children should stay hydrated while playing sports. Encourage them to drink before, during and after play.
- Encourage children to stretch before practices and games; this will help prevent sports-related injuries. Also make sure they cool down when play is done.
- Remind children to wear the appropriate protective gear such as helmets, protective pads and other gear.
- Remind children to follow all the rules of the game to ensure that fewer injuries occur. Also remind them to watch out for others and listen to the coach or playground monitor.
Visit the following sites for more information and materials: